This vignette is of New Abbey in 1782 and comes from a map surveyed by William Macartney. Most of the map is taken up with the farm of Airds and New Abbey is a small extra on the far left hand edge. The general shape of the village is in evidence even then and of course the Abbey is shown. Not that good? The bit actually covering the village would be only 50x50mm square on the original and the surveyor will have been working with a magnifier himself. Some of these details are tiny!